You need to find a dog boarding solution. And you find something that seems so nice. You leave your dog at someone’s house (an in-home dog boarding provider), instead of a “kennel” or facility. They have couches. A very nice person who has good intentions runs it. They will probably tell you they are cage free. They say they treat your dog like staying in your own home.
The reality may be very very different. Right now, anyone who lives in a house, apartment, condo who LOVES dogs can list on a website something like this: they have a space for your dog in their home and do “dog boarding.” ANYONE CAN DO THIS.
This does not make this kind of dog boarding LEGAL or SAFE, especially for your dog.
In fact, the majority of them are: ILLEGAL/UNLICENSED and UNPERMITTED in-home dog boarding operations.
There are reasons that properly operated dog boarding and dog daycare facilities have to declare to their city and/or county that they are taking care of people’s dogs. This is a very serious business. It is NOT a hobby. Your dog is a precious being.
If someone is charging you a fee to care for your dog, they are a BUSINESS. A business REQUIRES a permit.
NOT ONE of these people who are out of their home in a city are operating a business with the proper permits. AND. NOT ONE would be ALLOWED by the city to operate legally. The zoning does not allow this.
You are putting your precious dog into jeopardy without realizing it. And you have NO recourse.
Questions to think about:
- Do they have fire suppression and prevention systems that are connected directly to the Fire Department in case of an emergency? Do they have a KNOX box installed in the case of law enforcement/fire department’s need to enter?
- What are their cleaning protocols? CAN they sanitize and disinfect absolutely every surface, every day?
- Is bedding washed DAILY?
- When this person is doing NORMAL DAILY LIVING things like shopping for food, going to the post office, picking up/dropping off kids to and from school, going to medical appointments, WHAT IS YOUR DOG DOING and with WHOM??
- HOW are they sanitizing outdoor surfaces? Like grass that might have bird, rodent, cat and other dog feces remains in it. This is ok in your yard. This may not be ok in a yard that so many other dogs are pooping (yes, pooping) in.
- How escape proof is their outside area/yard? Have YOU personally walked and visually checked every inch of the fencing? We routinely find dogs in the Gilroy area who have escaped from their own/neighbors/friends and in-home boarding situations. Are you prepared for the dog that has escaped to be YOURS?
- Do you know if these people have criminal backgrounds, or not? Like the true story in Texas last year where the providers were arrested for drug dealing, and the clients’ dogs were LEFT in the home for DAYS without care??
We promote going to a LEGAL dog boarding/daycare facility. NOT illegal in-home dog boarding providers.
Ask the questions. Make sure your provider is LEGAL, not ILLEGAL.
Your dog’s life depends on it.
Come by The Dog House Inn for a tour – anytime we are open.
Ask us any questions you like or give us a call!